5/30/2014

Thai Village in Princeton NJ


Fried spring rolls and papaya salad

I have been craving pad thai for quite the longest time. My friend and I, in our boredom, had been professing our love for pad thai via text earlier in the day, and had even found some fun souvenirs to proudly announce it. There are just two places in the vicinity where I could get pad thai, but I wasn't in the mood for either one, and almost just made it myself at home but was missing some key ingredients. Finally, at 9pm, my husband said we should just go get the darned pad thai, probably because I might not be able to sleep without it.

Thai Village has seen better days, I'm sure of it. The prices on the menu must be at least 20 years old, because its location on Nassau Street would actually warrant prices to be at least $2 more per entree. Of course, I'm not complaining. Just an observation on the age and quiet sadness of the place. The places next to it, above it, and across from it, have all closed down and have been reincarnated into other establishments.

My husband doesn't like shrimp, so he ordered fried spring rolls and a papaya salad for himself, without the shrimp powder. The salad had a spicy lime sauce, which was surprising, and the crunch of the shredded papaya was refreshing. It was a rather large serving, and might have been better as small side to an entree. Alas, I got my pad thai, but it was neither here nor there, so unfortunately it did not satisfy my craving. The bean sprouts would have been better raw, and the noodles had a sad, slimy texture. Normally, I'd devour an entire plate of pad thai, but this was just so subpar...

If we didn't have such pleasant memories from our lunch here last summer-- sitting outside with cold glasses of water-- I might not have any reason to return to this place. Then again, that one visit wasn't enough to stir much nostalgia, so maybe this really was my last time having Thai in Princeton.

Shrimp pad thai

Thai Village on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment