5/26/2014

Kim Marie's in Asbury Park NJ




On May 17, I completed a 50-mile bike ride to raise funds and awareness for multiple sclerosis. On that day, I learned two things. One, I have the strength and endurance of an athlete, and two, there are many places to eat in the Jersey Shore area that I haven't tried yet. While riding out of Long Branch to get closer to the shore, Kim Marie's was the first place that caught my eye. On the outside, it looked like a place that was plucked right out of New Orleans then teleported to a barren spot in Asbury Park. My biking partner and I spent a good amount of time talking about a biking food tour, stopping three times for appetizers, entrees, and desserts!

On Memorial Day, my husband's only request was that we go to the beach. What we did once we got there was open ended. I suggested Kim Marie's so that I could sooner than later scratch it off my to-eat list. I was wrong about the theme of the place, as it was nowhere near French Creole. The waitress surprised me when she said it actually had Irish roots, and that they had just opened the season before. No wonder the place was half empty on a major holiday. Not even the $5 appetizer specials brought customers in.

My daughter ordered her staple of grilled cheese & fries, while I got a gastronomic burger just because it looked so good when it arrived at the table next to ours right when we were ordering. My husband, on his sporadic health kicks, decided to go with a salad with strip steak on top. Drinks were served in mason jars (as pictured above) whether it's a Shirley Temple, beer, or plain water. It goes perfectly with their mismatched chairs and overall eccentric decor.

We are definitely coming back for their specials and to explore the rest of their beer menu. This is a new place that I'd like to support (and encourage others to do the same) so that Kim Marie's will be there for a long time to come.

P.S. I recommended this place to Urbanspoon to get the active link below!

Kim Marie's Eat n Drink Away on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment