2/03/2012

Restaurant Week at Farmer's Cabinet


Even though it's 2012 and we are well into the 21st century, it was nice to step back in time at the Farmer's Cabinet.  This is mostly a compliment to the interior designer (or team).  I'm sure my centuries old house has more authentic history than this place, but the mastery of the aesthetics is something that inspired me to bring some of its charm from PA to NJ.

Good service is definitely huge in carrying you through the dining experience.  The hostess looked a bit out of place, and she did divulge that she is a new employee, and even further-- that the restaurant has only been around a year or two, which definitely killed the whole historical fantasy.  Thankfully the server saved the day with his knowledge of beer and food recommendations, and after clumsily getting into our seats (I'm sorry, but there's just no graceful way to get into a bench seat)-- we were well on our way to one of my more memorable gastronomical experiences.



There were three of us at lunch, and you'd think this meant I got to taste three different starters, entrees, and desserts.  Unfortunately for me, my companions (friend and husband) both ordered the exact same thing: butternut squash soup and hanger steak-- medium rare, no less, which I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole.  I got myself a pretzel with a seedy & tasty mustard dip and fluke with brussel sprouts.  My friend delighted in my delight (if that makes sense).  Everything was just great.


Finally, they indulged me with at least three different desserts: chocolate cake with peanut brittle, bread pudding, and coffee ice cream.  We shared a large French press, which yielded 6 small coffee cups, and satisfied three full bellies.

Farmers' Cabinet on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment