12/28/2011

Brio: Fine Mall Dining



My brother suggested Fridays, and I said No.  Then he suggested California Pizza Kitchen, and I said Heck No.  My niece, the budding gourmet chef and baker, suggested Gordon Biersch Brewery, but the wait was long and the hostess was snippy.  Then I saw Brio across the way.  The wait was as long as the brewery, but the hostess was nice.  She even did her best to seat us next to an outlet, which my brother needed for his laptop.

Our server, John, was equally nice and very hospitable.  His upselling was charming, so we ended up with a bottle of Riesling instead of the $5 margaritas that lured us in.  We had just one appetizer, fried calamari, which was generous enough to tide us over to our main courses.  Though it was nothing spectacular, I loved their horseradish sauce that accompanied the good old cocktail sauce.

My daughter had mac & cheese, which was priced the same as other places, except it was freshly made and did not come out of a box.  I ordered penne gorgonzola, which was delightful.  My husband got twin pork chops which were perfectly cooked, if a bit salty.  My brother got shrimp fra diavlo, and my nieces got another shrimp pasta.  I'm partial to the creamy sauces myself, so I stayed away from sampling their dishes.

I never thought I'd find myself raving about food at a mall, but then again Tysons Corner Center is not just any mall.  Dining at Brio will make you forget where you are, and I'm sure it's the same at the brewery, at Coastal Flats, and at Seasons 22, all across the way.  This area of the mall is a great place to sit and relax while the kiddies, aka mall rats, do their shopping.


Brio Tuscan Grille on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment