10/13/2011

Sugar & Sunshine in Plainsboro


Pretty soon I shall be the mayor of Sugar & Sunshine on Foursquare, given the pattern as of late.  This place is walking distance from home, so we are very much locals.  Instead of hot coffee, I had it iced for just $1.50 for a small size with a petite sesame bagel for $1.25.  They have a cute little sign that asks customers to be "sweet" and pay with cash for purchases under $5... I didn't expect my total to be under that, so unfortunately today I wasn't very nice paying with a credit card.  By the way, did I ever mention that the staff is super sweet as well?


* Previous post from 9/26/11 below *

I finally accomplished what I wanted to: dine at Sugar & Sunshine.  Only my daughter wanted a cupcake.  My son and I shared their homemade cinnamon roll, which was simply to die for.  My husband had a banana nut bread, which was good in its own right.  Smartly, they serve Small World coffee here, along with specially blended drinks (which I shall try next time) and other canned & bottled beverages.

From the atmosphere, you'd think you would pay a hefty price to help S&S pay for their lease, but no-- our total was just $10 for two flavored coffees and three bakery items.  It's A Grind, you have met your match!  It finally has a live-in country feel that was absent from my last post, and I'm really thankful to have another spot to frequent.


Original post from 3/17/11 below:


I've been here a few times before, never actually stayed inside to enjoy my sweets, but this is the first time I've taken a pic and posted on here about S&S.  I'd say they are overpriced at $2 because my other favorite place sells them for only a buck fifty a pop, but I know this is the going rate for cupcakes these days.  The actual cupcakes have the perfect combination of moist & fluffy texture, just the right amount of sweetness, enough of a homemade flavor to show they're made with TLC, and the ratio of icing to cupcake is tolerable.  And if you want to snag a deal, you can get a dozen for $20, or get a drink and get a cupcake at a discounted rate.

The decor is cute, if a little sparse, and since there's never anyone in there, it does feel awkward to sit and stay (which is probably why I never have).  Maybe they should dim the lights a bit, pipe in some jazz, get comfier seats, and stay open past 6pm?  I never seem to get there in time because I'm either too early or too late.

Today I ordered 2 red velvets, 1 coconut, 1 vanilla, 1 strawberry, and 1 mocha-- in that order.  I tried switching one of the red velvets so that I could sample the chocolate peanut butter, but I was told-- "we can't put it back once we put it in the box."  Oh well, there's always next time.

Sugar and Sunshine on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment