9/28/2011

Main Street Eatery & Bakery (Kingston)


The last time my husband and I ate here together was on Valentine's Day.  We usually visit this place separately due to our schedule.  So today when we returned, it could still be appropriately called a Love Day.  After all, he took the day off just to take me to the doctor.  Main Street is conveniently in our path home from my doctor, so we stopped for a healthy & hearty lunch before I went back into my sick bed.

Main Street never ceases to amaze me.  It was my first time having their quiche, and it won't be the last!


Original post from 2/14/11 below:


Valentine's Day was a regular day, which meant I went to work from 9-5, my daughter went to school from 8:30-6, my husband went to work from 3-11, and my son went to classes in the early morning and late evening.  But with the pressure of the Hallmark holiday looming, we decided to celebrate in some way, shape, or form, which for me usually means trying something new or something I had been craving for.  For lunch, we went the "new" route, and for dinner (see Love Day, Part II) we went the "crave" route.

To squeeze in face time with the entire family, my husband picked me up for lunch before heading to work.  Initially, we tried going to Rocky Hill Inn so that I could try their burger, which was recently ranked #4 in NJ.  Upon arrival, we were disappointed to find that Rocky Hill Inn is closed on Mondays (Didn't they want business of Love Day?  And who the hell is closed on Mondays?)  So in a crunch, I chose something "new" that I had been meaning to try, and that would be where Main Street in Kingston comes in.

I have to admit that as we pulled up to the parking lot of Main Street, my heart kind of sank to think I would be celebrating with my loved one at a deli.  To my surprise, upon entering I realized why it was called a "gourmet eatery & bakery".  All the touches, from its chalkboard menu to the floral curtains, were just so cozy and charming that I felt like I was celebrating Love Day in a small town somewhere in Europe (never mind the view of the cramped parking lot from our table).  

We ordered a sandwich & salad to share, and I also sampled their fresh brewed iced tea.  The salad was Black Forest Spinach, with candied walnuts that I could eat alone in a snack attack.  The grilled chicken sandwich had a smoked mozzarella that was as substantial as the chicken, with fresh basil for an extra kick.  And the potato salad was certainly "love at first bite" for me.  I believe I told my husband that I could eat a whole tub of that.

Anyway, Main Street also has a bistro on Harrison Street in Princeton, which is no doubt the fancier version.  They also offer catering for small parties in-house to huge parties off-premises (think weddings).  Prior to my visit, I would've turned my nose up at anyone who would cater a wedding with a "deli" but now you can say I've converted!

 

 Main Street Eatery & Bakery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment