9/01/2010

New York Deli in New Jersey

I'm from New York, I can't help but be skeptical of anything that advertises itself as being from New York when it's not actually in the Empire State.  New York Deli took the place of the Denny's next to Citibank on Route 1 South, and even after the takeover, my daughter kept bugging me to take her to "Denny's," which of course no longer existed.  So I finally succumbed one night when I felt lazy to cook, which sadly is mostly every day.

I have two words to describe our meal... "salty" and "overpriced."  Yes, the menu was extensive and had a lot of character, but I just didn't want to pay what they were asking for.  I was lucky that the pickles and kraut pictured above were complimentary, because my hot dog was served so plainly.  My son's grilled chicken sandwich with bacon kind of saved the day, with its fresh coleslaw.  But that's about it.

I would not go back even if I was missing New York.  I'd rather drive the 60 miles and just eat at legitimate New York deli.

*
New York Deli on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should try Harold's Deli in Edison, NJ. I heard they use the same meat from Carnegie Deli in NYC.

Post a Comment