3/12/2010

Rice & Egg Combos in San Diego

I went to San Diego for my uncle's funeral. Since the immediate family was busy with the wake, memorial, and funeral, I spent time with the extended family trying out the local eateries in the times in between gatherings & prayers.


The above pictured is a Filipino breakfast called tosilog, which includes tocino (sweet, cured pork), sinangag (garlic fried rice), and itlog (egg). I paired this with taho (caramelized drink with soy). It was a generous portion of food for less than $9. I felt like I was in the Philippines with the sounds of Tagalog being spoken by both the customers and the staff, with a varied selection of goodies, both savory & sweet. One surprise was actually their fried calamari, though not traditionally Filipino, for being light, crunchy, with just the right amount of saltiness. It was also definitely more bang for the bang than below.


In the afternoon, we went to a Hawaiian joint and tried the Loco Moco, which seemed like the Hawaiian verson of what I ate for breakfast. The mini-version was about $5 and it included an egg sitting on top of a gravy laden hamburger patty, on top of rice, with a side of macaroni salad. I think the full-sized version has 2 patties & 2 eggs. While I did not enjoy it as much as the tosilog-- because the patty tasted more like a frozen salisbury steak, than a "homemade" patty-- it was a fun combo, especially with the salad. It was so fun that I am even looking forward to recreating it at home.

*
Click on links for info:

Gemmae Bake Shop on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment