7/05/2010

Vietnam in Philadelphia

 
Food update!  Original post below from 7/5/09
To cap off our day in Philly, my family and I were really hoping to grab some cheesesteaks at Pat's King of Steaks. Unfortunately, it was too beautiful of a day for there NOT to be a long-ass line (the last time we went we were served quickly and we got seats, because it was mid-week and raining). My second choice for food was dim sum, but forget finding parking in Chinatown at that time, too.

So... we headed about a mile away from Pat's and had dim sum at Saigon Maxim instead. The mini-mall site reminded me of similar ones in Queens, NY, serving the same fare. Saigon Maxim, as other reviewers have called it, really is the biggest and emptiest restaurant I've been in, with a large selection of foods to meet the needs of my picky eaters. We ordered a large bowl of egg drop soup (giving us 1.5 servings each), sesame beef, orange beef, and whatever dim sum they had left at the time: shrimp har gow, pork shumai, and others I can't remember the names of. Aside from the sesame beef, we didn't order any other Vietnamese food, which may explain the less than stellar quality of the food. But, our tab for 5 people, after tax & tip, was just $49, so we can't complain too much.

Right across from Saigon Maxim, there's Pho Ba Le Bakery, which is just heavenly... the first time I ever went in there, I was simply looking for coconut rice pudding. But lo and behold, they've got every possible combination of sweets to satisfy my coconut milk dreams, even combos I've never tasted before. I am like a kid in a candy store in there because the place is also pure eye candy, too, so we didn't walk out of there without me grabbing 6 different puddings (buy 5, get 1 free), banana cake, bubble teas, fried yucca with coconut shavings, and fresh baked loaves of bread. The total cost for all these random items was $35.

And since I ordered & bought way too much food, I will have snacks/lunch/sweets to bring to work for the next couple of days!

*
Saigon Maxim
612 Washington Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19147
Saigon Maxim on Urbanspoon

Pho Ba Le Bakery
606 Washington Ave
Philadelphia, PA
(215) 389-4350

No comments:

Post a Comment